Sunday 22 May 2011

Fat chick running.

That would be me.

Oh good, another fat chick moaning about her weight loss and fitness efforts!

I hope that in the coming months I can look back over this blog and see how far I've come.  I hope that the accountability of recording my journey will spur me on to do more, to do better, or just to do at all.  I hope that I can be mildly entertaining and that y'all will come back and read my musings.

I am learning to run.  I've wanted to run for a good while, wanted to be a runner. Running wasn't for me.  Running was for slim, fit, sporty folk who could get Saucony running tights in their actual size, and who don't have to use bra back extenders to get the biggest high-impact sports bra they could find to fit them.  Runners were sleek, effortless, somewhat glam.  I am not a runner.  I am, however, coming around to the notion that I could be, one day.  So I am running.  I'm not yet a runner, I will puffing my way through the Couch to 5k programme in the hope that I will emerge as a runner on the other side.

So, how's that working out?  Honestly, right now, it is hell.  It is hard work.  I run through a stitch and aching complaining shins that frankly do not want to be propelling my excessively fat body anywhere at any kind of a pace.  I run until it feels like someone is squeezing my lungs.  Embarrasingly, this is week one of the plan and I'm only required to run for a minute at a time, and it's about 45 seconds too much.

This time, though, I don't want to give up because it's hard.  Losing this weight, getting fit - this is something I need to do.  I started this journey approximately nine stone overweight, and I have type II diabetes.  I want to be around for my kids for a long long time, I want to enjoy a happy life with my husband.  So, I am a fat chick running.  I hope you will stick around and see how I get on!

No comments:

Post a Comment